Friday, December 21, 2012

Trust

     The recent Sandy Hook massacre... it's all anyone is talking about--even eclipsed the supposed end of the world today! I've followed the story in the media, and I've followed it through the facebook posts everyone is sharing. I've held a few conversations with friends, sharing our thoughts and opinions about it. But mostly, I've just prayed.
     This is the prayer I learned when everything went nutty in my world this past year. It's ridiculously simple and hands off. But when there are no answers, when I have no control over the situation, and when I can neither ask for what I want to be done nor just accept Gods will, I've found this to be the most heartfelt prayer I can possibly pray.
 
"Lord, I trust you."

     It has been my experience that there will always be dark times in life. I don't know why. I don't know what the darkness in our world says about God or about the human race. I only fully understand the basic fact that darkness, in all its forms, does exist. However, it has also been my experience that there is nothing dark enough to prevent God from continuing to shine. And if I trust that He will, then the dark moments in life lose their power to destroy. That's not to say they don't leave their mark, or change everything sometimes. But when life is so dark that we can't see anything else, if we can just trust that there is a light still glowing, a light that will outlast the darkness, then we can make it through anything.

1 comment:

  1. I needed to read that prayer today, maybe even yesterday, the day before that and every day of my life. I feel as if a dark cloud has came over me and my family the last year and even though lately Ive been better with the passing of my mother I just drift away from the beauty of life, Im not seeing the light through the darkness. Keep posting Jaime, your a inspiration to a lot of people! Maggie

    ReplyDelete